Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gokusen the Movie thoughts

I know I'm about a week late for this, but I did go see the movie on opening day. And as you can see I picked up some goods as well. The movie pamphlet (which is really nice), an uchiwa (one side is the school uniform the reverse is Yankumi's red blazer) and a Hello Kitty Yankumi phone strap.


I'm not sure how well someone who has not watched the drama series would like the film. It definitely relies on the fact that you are familiar with the drama and the characters, especially with the cameo roles. But those who are fans, like me, will enjoy it as that does seem to be its target audience.

The movie is more or less split into two main story arcs, the first could just be another TV episode with Yankumi finally winning over the rest of the new 3-D class in the usual way. Then it's a storyline that centers on the just graduated 3-D class that breaks away a bit from the usual plot line. Though like any Gokusen plot line you can usually guess what happens next in any scene, but for me that's just fine as it's the execution of it that I enjoy. But honestly if you've seen the series then the movie is really easy to follow.

There is one side plot that runs throughout the movie, which is an Odagiri Ryu's centered plot line. So Kamenashi ended up getting a rather large role in the film. In the end I didn't mind it, even though I'm not a big Kamenashi fan, but I liked the plot line and I think he did a good job in this movie. Plus the rest of the main boys in the film got a good amount of screen time, which I was afraid they wouldn't if Kame's role was too big. But in the end I think there was a good balance.

And for those interested in the cameos, the second season boys are worked into the movie storylines while the first season boys all show up near the end.

And since I want to avoid putting out major spoilers that is all I have to say about the film. Other than I think I may want to see it one more time, as the oppurtunity of being able to watch a movie like this on the big screen is probably something that I'm going to get a lot of. And it's hard to say no to the pretty boys. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment