Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fan casting: Otomen drama

Ok, I admit I was just all kinds of lazy yesterday which was why I didn't post anything. But there also very little happening in the JE world that I think is newsworthy for me to post about here. I'm sure that will change eventually and there will be a storm of news to make up for the lull, but until then you'll have to forgive me for finding other topics to tie into my love for the Johnny's boys. Like this one.

I'm not usually the kind of person that will fan cast for something that doesn't even exist yet but since becoming a Johnny's fan I've found myself doing just that. The non-existent drama in question is what I imagine would be the adaption of the popular shoujo manga series, Otomen by Kanno Aya.

The basic story revolves around Masamune Asuka, a high school student, whose father left him and his mother when he was a child because he wanted to be a woman. Asuka's mother was of crushed by this and made Asuka promise to become a manly man. The only problem is that Asuka is naturally girly. He loves shoujo manga, cute things, knitting and sewing and is a great baker. He also has a crush on his classmate Miyakozuka Ryou, a girl that is no good at doing girly things but is good at the martial arts.

The moment I thought about who to play Asuka, Inoo Kei from Hey! Say! JUMP jumped immediately to mind. I think he would perfect for the role as it's not too far off his personality as he's shown he can be rather girly. I also think he has the right look to me for the part too.


I honestly don't really know many of the young actresses for Japan so I don't know who to pick for Ryou's role. They probably should be around Inoo's age though I think. And they'll have to pull off cute girl that can hold her own in a fight well. Like a mini-Hirosue Ryoko, who I think does a good job being all cute and then switching over to bad ass for the Yasuko to Kenji drama.

The other main character would be Tachibana Juuta, a classmate of Asuka's who is secretly a manga artist and his manga is actually one of Asuka's favorites. He befriends Asuka and uses him as inspiration for his manga as he admires Asuka's ability to be maiden-like as a guy. At first I was thinking of just keeping it with the Hey! Say! JUMP group after debating it in my mind I ended thinking that Yabu Kota would be able to fit the role the best. Though after thinking about it more I think Fujigaya Taisuke could play Juuta well, and I would love to see him get some drama work even if he's still only a Junior. So I'm not 100% on either but if either get the part I would be happy.


Chinen Yuri can even guest star in an episode as Ariake Yamato, a very small girly looking younger school mate of Asuka's that hero worships him for his 'manliness.'


There are some more ikemen (good looking guy) characters for the series but it really just centers around the main three of Asuka, Ryou and Juuta. Besides I don't think there is a single drama that would cast a full Johnny's male cast so those roles can go to other agency actors.

But yea, this is my little fantasy which makes me happy to dream about. I'm pretty sure it won't happen but until Otomen actually becomes a drama it's a dream I'll be keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment