Thursday, September 11, 2008

Countdown musings

I'm feeling pretty drained from writing that report that night so I'm just going to ramble on tonight. I should have something more coherent tomorrow to post.

After the announcement of NEWS' winter tour and the fact they will be taking over the Countdown concert at the Tokyo Dome I've been really curious about what this means. Kinki Kids are still doing a New Year's concert but over in Osaka, which of course means they won't be at the Countdown this year. They had been the group that hosted the Countdown concert for the past ten years so it's strange to imagine them not being a part of it anymore at all. But perhaps this is all a part of passing the torch to the younger groups. Also with part of Hey! Say! JUMP now able to participate, as only those 18 and over can work after midnight in Japan, they may not really have the room for so many acts on a single stage.

It will still be strange to a newer Johnny's fan like me not to see Kinki Kids at Countdown. It will be stranger still if the two groups that debuted before Kinki Kids, Tokio and V6 aren't there either. I don't think that information is out yet but I hope those two will be at Countdown, or if they aren't they will be joining Kinki Kids in Osaka. But I guess sooner or later these older groups would stop doing the concert, kinda like how they stop showing up in the idol magazines to make way for the younger Johnny's talents. I'll be sad to see that happen as the older groups are fun to watch interact with each other.

I do hope NEWS gets to host the Countdown concert for as long as Kinki Kids did. And then maybe in ten years a new younger group can take up the honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment