Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tegomass 1st Live Tour 5 August 2PM concert report

Sorry for taking so long to post this, I kept getting distracted by things and felt there was no need to rush as there are a few other concert reports out in English already.

I wasn't sure I was going to go to the concert since money was tight, still is, so I had to be careful budgeting things. But I found a ticket the day of that was in the range I was willing to pay and ended up getting super lucky.

As Yokohama arena has the arena tickets be the first floor of seating around the arena I thought that was what I was getting for Yoyogi. Apparently Yokohama is the odd one out with how they label seating areas as the arena seat for Yoyogi was the center section down where the stages are. I was in the center block between the main stage and the center stage. I was also close to the right side so whenever the boys made their way to or from the main stage to the middle stage I got a great view of which one was on my side. These ramps were inflatable too, so when they let the air out there was a breeze of cool air, which was actually rather nice as it was a hot summer’s day. None the less realizing how close I would be to Tegomass had me silently spazzing to myself as I waited for the concert to begin.

I also noticed, as I waited, that there seemed to be more cameras than there usually were for a concert. When one turned around to get a practice shot at the audience I realized there was a good chance that this was going to be filmed for a DVD, as the only other time I’ve seen so many cameras and have one be pointed at the audience at anytime at a concert was for one that was getting taped for a DVD release.

This is probably the first concert I've ever been to that's actually begun early, though only by a minute or two. But a couple of minutes before 2PM the screens began playing clips, starting with footage from Tegomass' debut in Sweden. This was the main focus of the video though it eventually went on to highlight the other releases after their debut. By the time to video was doen the band was on the stage. The lights dimmed and the big screen at the back of the main stage opened up as two figures came through. The lights didn't come on so Tegoshi and Masuda were only seen in silhouette from the light coming out behind them from the screen opening, as they began singing the first song Miso Soup. Partway into the song the lights for the stage came on so you could finally see them fully.

They then moved on to Marui Chikara staying on the main stage. Tegoshi stayed mostly on the left hand side of the stage while Massu was on the right, so I got a better view of him. I noticed that his hair is back to a single color again. Then they sang Bokura no Uta. After that they stopped and introduced themselves, each making their personal hand gestures. It was also at this time Tegoshi brought up that people probably noticed that there were quite a cameras about. He then confirmed my suspicion that they were indeed there to film for a DVD release.

They then went into Tanabata Matsuri and had the PV play on the screens as they sang the song. Up next was Hanamuke where they had wedding themed animations on the main screen for the song. Sometime during these first few songs I noticed Tegoshi had a habit of mouthing the words of Massu's parts when he was waiting for his turn. I thought it was rather cute as the only others I've seen do this quite a bit are the newer Juniors.

During Ame Nochi Hare! they made their move from the main stage. They moved to the middle stage using swings that moved along the inner aisles (I got to see Massu pretty much right above me). They finished up the song on the middle stage.

They moved on to the upbeat Power of Earth where they did a lot of running around. I’m pretty sure this is the song Massu managed to trip and fall on stage, as I distinctly remember it being on the middle stage during the first half of the concert. They both were laughing as they tried to keep singing after his fall. Massu stayed on the ground for a while and Tegoshi tried to help him up. I have the feeling that will be one scene that will get a lot of views when the DVD comes out.

Instruments and seats were then placed on the stage so they sung Kushami sitting facing each other. I swear the cd version of this song does not do it justice, as it just sounded so beautiful and powerful live. It makes me wish that Johnny’s did live albums, as this is one of the concerts that would sound just brilliant on cd. Though they might have needed to record the audio from another concert so they would have a version of Power of Love without the laughing.

Anyway the next song was Sayounara Boku no Machi. For this they swiveled their chairs around to face the audience for this song.

Before the next song they brought up that they have side stages and went to those. Massu was on the left and Tegoshi on the right. And while Tegoshi was in front of fans, Massu was in front of the VIP section in the audience, which I thought was a bit sad for the fans on that side. They sang Sunadokei for their first song on these stages, followed by Moshimo Boku ga Pochi Dattara, which had the side stages rise up during the song.

During the next song, Tatta Hitotsu Dake, they made their way to the main stage again. Massu was acting pretty hyper as he was bouncing along on the inflatable platform between the middle and main stage.

Then a VTR with two cell phone screens came on the main screen. During this Tegomass disappeared into the stage. For a couple of responses on the cell phone screen Tegoshi had both Japanese and the English equivalent written. I forget what the first one was, but it was something very simple, the next was ใ‚‚ใกใ‚ใ‚“(mochiron), which translates to ‘of course’ in English but the English was written ‘of couse’ instead. Both eventually asked the audience to yell out some responses. I can’t exactly remember what Tegoshi’s were, but Massu’s were all food related.

They then reappeared on the stage again after changing clothes. Everything they wore was rather casual for a Johnny’s concert. Especially the second set, which looked like street clothes, Massu’s though were all in his usual unique style.

Boku no Cinderella was the next song and this was the song they first brought out the carasoul-esque ponies. Masuda’s was yellow and Tegoshi of course had the matching pink. Massu seemed a bit overly excited about his pony as about mid-way, near the end of the song he was petting it a lot. Though from certain angles his petting looked rather wrong. After the song ended and before they got off the ponies Tegoshi teased him a bit about it.

Instead of returning to the main stage they got off of the ponies at the middle stage. They started off talking about Chicken Boy, bringing up how they both wrote it was a collaboration between the two of them. They then proceed to sing the song.

Then it was time for the long MC, though for a while they forgot to ask the audience to sit down. I think the only problem I had with my seat was at this part as I they were for the most part directly behind so I had to strain my neck to watch them for this MC part.

They then moved on to what else they were doing. For Massu it was his guest role in Nagase Tomoya’s drama Karei Naru Spy. They both pretty much expressed their awe over Nagase, mainly repeating what a cool person he is, for this part. I approved as Nagase is awesome, IMHO.

They then talked about Tegoshi and his role in Dream Boys. Massu brought up that he would be a Water Boy (I think this could be a joke related to the popular movie and drama series Water Boys that came out some years back, which was about swimming, or at least that’s what I first thought of when I heard it.) The talk about Dream Boys eventually leads to Massu singing out what he’s saying to imitate a musical and Tegoshi joins him in doing the same for a bit too.

Mixed in all that they poked fun at Shige about his sleeping habits, imitating him at times to show everyone what they meant. They also brought up the guests from the night before, Nakamaru, and I’m sure the other was Tanaka Koki.

To end the MC they make their way to the main stage again. Tegoshi picks up a guitar to play for the next song while Massu gets a tambourine. Massu seemed very pleased to have it too. And then they sing the next song, La La Sakura. During the performance paper cherry blossoms fall down on the stage from above.

And then the instruments get put away as it was time to switch things up as they begin a string of up tempo songs, beginning with What’s going on!. I remember noticing that Massu seemed very natural grooving to the music as he waited for his part of the song to sing. They follow it up with Chocolate and then it was onto Highway. At the end of Highway they made their way back to the center stage for their next song to round out the fun up tempo songs set, Fantastipo.

Fantastipo, simply, was awesome. Seriously there is no other way to describe this song. The original version is awesome and Tegomass’ version was too. You could just feel the tension rise the moment the boys struck their poses and the music began. It was the high point when it came to the energy of the concert and the silly dance was so much fun to watch. They used the ponies to get to the back stage where they finished the song at.

When they finished the song they were on the stage at the back or the arena. Massu went to his knees to catch his breath, as Fantastipo had a lot of wild dancing. So they both talked a bit and Tegoshi went to his knees for a bit before standing again. He then introduced the next song, Ai Ai Gasa, when Massu made it back to his feet again.

On the back stage they had the rising pillars and they used those for the songs they sang there, so they were at a good level for the audience in the top floors to see them. They stayed up there for the next song, Bokurashiku.

After that song they returned to the main level of the stage as it was time to switch stages again with the next song, Owaranaide. They mainly rode the ponies and this was the time they threw the sign boards. They kept on the ponies for the next song, Kimi+Boku=Love. They ended up on the main stage so at the end of the song they could exit the stage with the rest of the band.

There was only one encore for this concert, probably because there was another concert they had to do in a few hours. But considering that this was the concert chosen to be taped for a DVD release I was fine with that. Everyone came out wearing the concert T-shirt. And the two songs they sung for the encore were Katomoi no chiisana koi and Kiss~Kaerimichi no love song~. For Kiss~Kaerimichi no love song~ they had the lyrics for the chorus up on the screens and had the audience sing them. I felt rather proud that I could read everything save one or two kanji characters so I did my best singing along.

They then said their final thank yous and goodbyes, then waved good-bye and exited through the opening in the screen on the main stage. Before completely leaving they had the audience go completely silent and yelled out, I believe it was thank you, without using their microphones.

The concert was definitely more low key than the other Johnny’s concerts I’ve been to. But for a duo group like Tegomass it was fine the way it was.

The things I really appreciated was the multiple stages, even if it did mean I wasn’t close to them the whole time it gave people in other sections of the audience a chance to see them better, which I’ve noticed is a mainstay for all the Johnny’s concerts I’ve been to. Also both were really good with trying to give their attention to everyone in the audience, not just the people closest to them. Like Massu made a lot of big waves for the people faraway to see and I could see them both keeping their eyes moving across all the sections of the crowd.

I was also just amazed with their vocals. Even though they rarely had any kind of break from singing or speaking they sounded consistently good throughout the entire concert. I couldn’t help but remember how at the KAT-TUN Tokyo Dome concerts, while Jin and Kame sounded good and strong for most of the concert near the end their voices seemed to sound weaker, and that was with having breaks as other members did their solo numbers and not have to be the only ones talking during the MC.

All and all I am very glad I went as it was one of my favorite concerts that I have attended so far. And I really can’t wait to see the rest of NEWS in concert with all the bells and whistles that come with the normal Johnny’s concert, as while Tegomass was great with a simple concert I think NEWS is best with the more extravagant sets and effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment