Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Engine mid-season impressions


Well I've gotten through six of the eleven episodes of Engine so it's time for my mid-season write up. I'm really enjoying this drama and I can see why it was so popular when it was airing. Not only are the actors good but so is the story, even though I thought the first episode was a bit slow.

What's nice about Engine is that it doesn't have so much as an episodic feel to it as other dramas I've watched. Story lines introduced carry over a bit even if the main issue is solved there is usually still something that needs to be addressed but instead of just pushing it to the side or forgetting about it they continue on in the story as you can tell these elements are there to help build up to a future story line which makes it interesting to watch and try to guess where it will go.


Kimura is just wonderful in his role of Jiro. He makes the character truly lovable and sympathetic for the audience even though he's the kind of character that can't seem to read the situation at all and would probably be bothersome to deal with in real life.


Daiki's character Toru has his episode that focused on him and his younger sister, episode 5. I will confess that I did cry quite a bit watching this episode as the siblings' stories was all rather touching and heart breaking. I so just wanted to hug the both of them at the end. And I couldn't help but think Daiki just looked adorable and should get another role sometime where he has to wear glasses.


Episode 6 was Harumi's (Toda Erika) story. And I think between Engine and Ryusei no Kizuna I'm beginning to like her. I normally don't like love sick characters but she brings a charm to them that I like, and thankfully for both dramas she has people that can bring some sense to her character if it looks like she's going to far.

I don't think there is anything that would stop me from watching the rest of this drama. I mean I'm sure it has a happy ending and all so it's not like I'm in suspense about that. I just really want to see the whole thing through and continue seeing how the characters grow and change. I don't think I would feel satisfied only seeing this part way through after watching the characters grow and change so much already without knowing how exactly things will end for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment