Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tokio joins the Storm.

The news has been out for a while now, I don't follow Tokio closely so I just recently found out it. But Tokio has switched labels once more. They began on the Sony Music label and then switched to Universal Music until this latest switch. This time they've signed on with J-Storm where they join fellow JE groups, Arashi and Hey! Say! JUMP. They don't have their page up yet on the website but there is a pop-up window with some information about their next single that will be the first Tokio release from J-Storm.

Johnny's has also snagged them one of the most interesting choice of songwriter to write their next song, Tokyo Jihen. For those who aren't famliar with this group they are the rock band that Shiina Ringo, a popular J-rock artist, put together after she decided not to continue her solo career. Shiina Ringo is also a bit infamous for having a very unique style to her music. Here's a link to a streaming of Tokyo Jihen performing Koko de Kiss Shite, one of Shiina's most popular songs from her solo career.

The song they are writing for Tokio is called Amagasa which translates to Umbrella. Shiina Ringo is writing the music and lyrics and Tokyo Jihen are credited to be doing the arrangement. It will be used as the theme song for the drama, Yasuko to Kenji, starring Tokio's Matsuoka Masahiro and co-starring Kanjani8's Tadayoshi Ohkura.

I'm rather surprised at this as Shiina Ringo is one of the last J-rock artists I would imagine writing music for a JE artist as she's about as un-idol like as they come. I'm not too surprised that JE decided to use a popular artist to write music for them as they did that with KAT-TUN's debut single Real Face. I'm really curious to how this song will sound though. I have liked the few songs I've heard from Shiina Ringo and I would like to see how she does writing music for others. And I'm sure I'm not the only one as I'm sure J-Storm is trying to make sure the first single they release for Tokio is a hit.

And this makes my dream of one day Utada Hikaru writing a song for a JE group seem a little more possible. Though it's probably just going to remain a dream but I don't want to let go of it as I can only imagine how awesome it would be. *__*

No comments:

Post a Comment