Sunday, March 15, 2009

Group Review: Hey! Say! JUMP - Hey! Say! BEST

Following up to the earlier Group Review post for Hey! Say! 7, here is the one for Hey! Say! JUMP's other sub-unit, Hey! Say! BEST.


I remember quite clearly when Hey! Say! JUMP debuted Johnny's gave the line that BEST would be the more active unit of the group so 7 could focus on schooling. That didn't seem to last long, or at all, and 7 looks to be more active than BEST nowadays. But even if they don't get as much focus as 7, they are my favorite sub-unit for HSJ.

Takaki Yuya not only is my favorite HSB member but my favorite HSJ member. I love his gap with how he looks and how he acts. I mean he has the cool look perfected but personality-wise he's still a kid at heart and it's afraid to act like it. And I find it cute that he gets along with the members of 7 so well because of this. So I was very happy to hear that he was chosen to be in Gokusen 3 and can't wait to see the upcoming SP and movie for the series because both will have him in it. I hope he continues to get drama roles and gets to continue trying new things. He's far from my favorite actor but I have hope that he will improve with experience.

As I was a fan of the original Hey! Say! 7 group, when HSJ was formed I had those members as favorites, which of course included Arioka Daiki. I still like Daiki a lot so he remains near the top for my favorites. He's the baby of BEST and as the Scrap Teacher drama proved still has a face that looks young enough to pull off pretending to be a junior high school student despite being a second year high school student at the time. This year though he turns 18 so he will be able to join the rest of BEST on stage for the Johnny's Countdown concert, and I hope BEST will then be able to perform something on their own as a group and be on stage for the whole concert unlike the last one.

At first I really did not know what to think about Yabu Kota and Yaotome Hikaru when HSJ debuted, other than the fact they both were taken from Ya-Ya-Yah. Hikaru though over time has won me over and tends to vye for the position of second favorite BEST member with Daiki. I love his playful goofiness and he tends to be the highlight of most of the PV making of features. I just hope that now that he's out of school Johnny's will let him do more.

Yabu I don't really have a strong opinion about. I have a feeling he just may be one of those who will grow on me eventually, or maybe when he gets the chance to do something. I mean I'm surprised he hasn't gotten even a guest spot in a drama or something like that, as he doesn't seem to have school to worry about anymore, so it's not like he has a busy schedule. But I guess time will tell whether or not he's able to branch out and do more than what he has been doing.

I do like Inoo. From his teasing of Hikaru to the fact he decided to continue on his education and attend university, making him the 'smart one' of the group. Even though he seems to be the most overlooked member of the group I always look forward to seeing him. And it's nice that during concerts, while he may not have many solo lines, he can at least contribute something the others can't with his piano playing. I really hope that he gets to do more in the near future. I feel he's untapped potential and I want to see what he can do.

I guess overall I just want to see BEST do more than what they have done so far. With 7 getting a group song that's getting special promotion I want to see BEST get something similar. Like maybe they get to do the theme song for the Gokusen movie or something like that. And I would love to see any of them get a drama role, or even begin showing up as guest stars. So I'm really hoping for the best for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment