Thursday, February 5, 2009

Yuuki 100% comparisons

Since I now have the live version of Hey! Say! JUMP’s Yuuki 100% to listen to, I decided I would make some brief comparisons to the original version of the song by Hikaru Genji and Ya-Ya-Yah’s cover. Of course it isn’t a completely fair comparison as the full, recorded version of HSJ’s version could have some differences from the live, but I think it’s also safe to say that there’s quite a bit that will stay the same.

From the first listen through of all three songs it’s rather apparent that the HikaGen version has more in common with HSJ’s than Yax3’s. The big difference is that Yax3’s version uses the verses as solos while both the HikaGen and HSJ version only have one solo part, which is the solo lines Yamada has in the live performance. The rest of the song is sung with the group. One other thing the HSJ and HikaGen versions have in common that separates them from Yax3’s is just the maturity of the voices, which makes sense as Yax3 has the youngest member average of the three groups when they covered the song.

After a few more listens to all three songs I noticed something else in common with HSJ’s and HikaGen’s versions and that’s the trumpets used in the song. In the original the trumpets are rather prominent but in the Yax3 version they’re more muted in favor of other instruments. HSJ’s version brings back the trumpets to the forefront.

There is a new element in the HSJ version that the other two versions don’t have, and that’s a small infusion of Latin influenced sound during the trumpet parts. With Mayonaka no Shadow Boy having a bit of a Latin sound and the Minna no Uta Hey! Say! 7 song being called Salsa Iina Iine, I’m beginning to think that Latin/Spanish influenced music might be what Johnny’s decided HSJ’s ‘sound’ is going to be for their songs.

Overall I think it’s safe to say that HSJ’s version is definitely a cover of HikaGen’s Yuuki 100%, not Yax3’s. And if anyone says different then I really wonder if they’ve really listened to all three songs. I mean it seems rather apparent to me both the Yax3 and HSJ versions went in different directions from the HikaGen version so it would be kinda like comparing a chocolate & strawberry crepe to a banana & strawberry crepe. You may prefer one over the other because of personal taste but if you want to make a serious comparison between the two you really should know what a strawberry only crepe tastes like.

I also think both covers are good in their own ways with their own strengths that set them apart from each other. I mean I love how Yax3’s version has the verses as solos over the single solo part of the original and HSJ’s, as it seems to bring out the vocals more. But I really love that kick of Latin music scattered in HSJ’s version as it really fits the song and adds extra energy to the chorus, IMHO. And as the original is just a fun song to listen to it’s no surprise that I think that both covers are just as fun. I just wish I had a recorded version of HSJ’s to play along with the other two. That and a crepe as my above example has me craving them now. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment