Thursday, February 19, 2009

Uta no Onii-san first impressions

As I realize that I'm only a couple of episodes away from getting about halfway through this drama I figure it's about time I wrote up my thoughts about the first episode of this drama. (laugh)

This is the kind of drama I tend to like on default on the fact that it's light and fun. And seeing Ohno look so grumpy in such a bright and cheery looking costume amuses me so.


The cast overall I think is good, except for one person, the girl playing the ex-girlfriend of Ohno's character, Yano. She's a singer by trade and this is her first acting role and it really shows as she comes off stiff and I find it hard to take her seriously. Especially in any seen where she has to cry as it looks so fake. But other than that I enjoy everyone else. Ohno does well and I can see why people liked him so much in his previous drama, Maou.


The 'kids love Yano though Yano says he doesn't like them' theme does well with showing how uncomfortable Yano is with being on the program. But you can tell that once you get past his apathetic and 'oh woe is me' exterior he's a good guy and does care about others. Which I think is where his character development in the drama will be, learning that he should like about others more. The other thing will be the heavy handed theme of 'everyone has to deal with hardships so you should always do the best you can no matter what you are doing.' And while I can agree with the ideology I wish they didn't through it into the audience's faces so blatantly.


Overall I've liked what I've seen so far of the series and will be sticking with it until the end unless it somehow goes offtrack from it's current progress, which I really don't see happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment