Monday, February 23, 2009

Group Review: NEWS

I want to try something different for this blog, as I don't want to get stuck if there isn't any news to report or I haven't watched an episode of something yet. So I came up with an idea to do a group review of sorts, which will be me just going through the Johnny's groups and giving my thoughts on them and the members of the group. Beginning with the group that got me into Johnny's, NEWS.


I didn't get into NEWS until they had just made their comeback with Hoshi o Mezashite being their latest single at the time. They have always retained the top spot for my favorite Johnny's group though they now have a couple of close seconds.

For group favorites, it took me a while to settle on one, which was Kato Shigeaki. Even though he isn't the best singer or dancer of the group and looks the least idol like, I love him the most of the group. I think a lot of it is because he is un-idol like so I feel I can relate to him easier than the rest. That and he always seems ready with a story to tell about his day or his past experiences and he does a good job with keeping them interesting. And he has a great smile, which for me is a big thing as one of the most attractive things to me is a smile.

After Shige everyone else just rotates positions constantly. Though Nishikido Ryo, Tegoshi Yuya and Koyama Keiichiro tend to stay near the top more than Yamashita Tomohisa and Masuda Takahisa.

I like Ryo because he's a gap kind of person. I mean he looks cool and can act cool but really he's a nice guy at heart. His smile is still a bit scary looking to me but there's something earnest about him that I've come to like it over time.

Tegoshi I liked early on because he has a good voice. And when he was younger he was just adorable looking. I'm not sure if I can get used to the 'sexy' Tegoshi as he's stuck with a bit of a babyface so 'sexy' doesn't seem to suit him much at all. But I think he's probably come the furthest in the group since their debut.

I don't think one can like either Koyama or Shige without liking the other as they spend so much time together you just have to follow one of them to get updates about the other. Koyama took me a while to form an opinion of but because I was following Shige as a fan I eventually came to like Koyama by approximation. Also as a regular Shounen Club viewer I got a regular does of him there and I love how he's like the caring older brother to all the younger Juniors.

Yamapi has the 'cool' look to him but it's taken me some time to really begin warming up to him. I think its mainly because he doesn't seem to be able to express himself well and comes off as guarded most of the time. But he seems to slowly becoming more and more relaxed nowadays and is looking more like his Junior days where he looked truly happy to be doing what he was doing and being with the people he was with.

I still haven't figured Massu out yet. He seems so reserved so I don't think I know enough about him to form an opinion just yet. He does seem like a genuine nice guy though and I like his smile so he has that going for him though.

And in a nutshell those are my current thoughts about NEWS. I think the only other thing that I want to say is that a new release from them is well overdue. Johnny's needs to remember they have other groups outside of Arashi, KAT-TUN and Kinki Kids that they need to release something for this year. But that's a rant for another day.

And to finish ending this completely off topic, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kamenashi Kazuya!

No comments:

Post a Comment