Thursday, November 6, 2008

Scrap Teacher ~Kyoushi Saisei~ First Impressions


Like I mentioned in an earlier entry I was able to recently get a hold of a subtitled version of Scrap Teacher so I felt I could honestly give my impressions of the series now that I have a better grasp of the plot and characters.

I knew from the synopsis when it was first announced it was going to be a bit oddball. I mean how serious could a drama about junior high school students reforming teachers be? And I was right, it is kept rather light with quite a bit of screwball humor to help make things a bit more believable in the sense that it makes possible for adults to be messed up enough that these 'super junior high school students' can deal with them easily.


From the first episode I like Nakajima's character Kosaka. He's a normal student and befriends the news teacher, Sugi-sensei, the main teacher of the show. He also is the one that questions the super junior high students methods for dealing with situations.


Sugi-sensei is a good guy and barely passed to become a teacher but not because he wasn't trying. Until the super junior high student trio (sjhs trio) show up he had fallen under the cloud of apathy the rest of the staff at the school are under but being forced into the sjhs trio's pace has awoken up his determination to be a good teacher again. He's a rather simple character but has potential as his character grows and learns through the series.


The sjhs trio right now kinda annoy me. I know they're supposed to be special and the moral guides but I think they're overly smug, especially Yamada's character, Takasugi. I kinda want to bop him on the head sometimes for being too narrow minded with dealing with the teachers and students. I really hope they don't remain static characters throughout the series since I think it would be nice if these kids perhaps learn something return for cleaning up the school from its rotten teachers.


There really aren't more standout characters, there are a handful of the staff that look like they are slowly getting primed to go through the sjhs trio's tests to be shown what junk teachers they are and the trio of students played by the members of the Junior group B.I.Shadow. Who are now bullies but I have the feeling they'll have there own episode where they are 'saved/rescued' and have a change of heart as dramas like this are rather easy to guess about what will happen to which character based on character type.


For me I know what will make or break this series is how they deal with the three super junior high students. I think they could tell their story about who they are and why they are doing what they are doing and it be very interesting and dramatic but I can also see it done very poorly and be very cringe inducing. Or not bother to explain them at all which will just annoy me to no lengths.

If it was any other cast I don't think I would bother sticking around in hopes to see what I want to develop to actually happen. But as a Hey! Say! JUMP fan I think the drama is worth viewing though like I mentioned for me this needs to have some good developments at least at the end for it to feel like it was a good drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment