Sunday, August 2, 2020

Idol Fandoms 2020: NEWS

NEWS was the first Japanese idol group I really got into and at this point I am going to be with this group to the very end. It does help that the remaining three members have always been among my favorites, with Kato Shigeaki being my favorite member of NEWS for many years already. 

Tegoshi Yuya leaving as he did in June was definitely a blow. I was expecting the four members to be the final line-up for the group, so it really felt like it came out of nowhere. And it did not help that it happened as he made some questionable decisions that got picked up by tabloids. I do wish him well but I will not lie and say that I am not still hurting from his decision. Less about him deciding to leave, but how he went about it.

Yet again I find myself not certain about the future of the group. While I have faith they will continue on as a trio it is hard to see what the singing dynamic will be now. Though I am sure they will figure out something to work with their voices. 

The only thing I truly worry about is how Koyama Keiichiro is dealing with it. As the leader of the group I am sure he cannot help but think that it is partly his fault that he could not keep the group together as four. Plus the fact that he did not have a chance to properly talk to Tegoshi before he decided he was going to leave must weight heavy on him. I would love to see him smiling with the rest of the remaining members of NEWS again. So I await their comeback as a trio as they begin the next chapter of the group's history.

No comments:

Post a Comment