Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Morning Musume '14 - Tiki Bun RE A single


Artist: Morning Musume '14
Title: Tiki Bun
Release date:  15 OCT 2014
Type: single
Version: regular edition Type A

Packaging: This release keeps it simple. The booklet is just the cover a back cover image of all the girls, basically solo shots photo shopped together to almost look like a group shot. Then it is just the lyrics. Since I got the first press of the single I did get a trading card (mine was Sayashi Riho) and since it was ordered from CDJapan a poster of Michishige Sayumi.

Tracks:

1. TIKI BUN
Like all of MM '14's singles TIKI BUN is an EDM style song and is one of my favorites from the group. The "Tiki bun" lyric is catchy and the song uses the electronic effects with voices well. Just touches of it here and there and letting the voices of the girls shine unhindered throughout. I love the back beat of the song that drives it forward as it goes through several change ups. And in the end it just clicks with me.

2. シャバダバ ドゥ~ (Shaba Daba Doo~)
This track is simply Michishige Sayumi. It is cute and bubbly and a since it was written for Sayumi one that fits her voice well. Usually I do not care for cutesy voices but when they fit a song as well as this then I am able to enjoy them. And it is nice to actually hear Sayumi instead of the heavily filtered version of her voice that we have been getting recently with MM '14 songs. But the song has a nice light jazzy feel and I just cannot picture anyone else singing this other than Sayumi.

3. 見返り美人 (Mikaeri Bijin)
I am just as in love with this song as I am with TIKI BUN. They may be different styles of music but I adore both and of course Mikaeri Bijin has that added sentimental value in being a farewell song to Sayumi from the rest of the girls. It has that wonderful build up to the chorus where they take their time for it and the music right before the chorus is my favorite part of the entire song. Honestly even without the emotional attachment I have for the song I would probably still love it. And since it is sung in unison by the girls there are no fights over who got solo lines or didn't, which is nice.


Overall: I do not think I could be any happier to have this be the first Morning Musume single that I was able to pre-order a physical copy for. I love all three tracks and there is such a sentimental attachment I have to all three I doubt there will be many future single that could come close to challenging its position as my favorite MM single.

This is a great single and a fantastic send off to Sayumi. And with Mikaeri Bijin not being penned by Tsunku I think it works to show that the group does not to rely so heavily on him. Which is for the best considering his recent condition.

All and all I am waiting excitedly for MM '15's first single to see what the future holds for the group after this release.

No comments:

Post a Comment