Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chu-Z - Chu-Z My Music Type C mini-album


Artist: Chu-Z
Title: Chu-Z My Music
Release date:  09 JUL 2014
Type: mini-album
Version: Type C

Packaging: When I was selecting which version of this to get I knew that I would want one of the ones with a bonus track and since I did not know much about the group I just went with the one that I liked the cover of best. I probably would still do so again if I had to as I really have no favorites in this group, I rather just like them all. That said this is a good release to pick up if you are new to the group as the lyric booklet has images of the girls on each page, with names attached and each in their image color, and prominently features the three that are in the sub-unit for the bonus track, which for this is edition is Bling Bling Princess (Kaede, Luna and Maia). I also love both outfits that the girls have to promote this release

Tracks:

1. IROHA MUSIK
I admit it took me some time to warm up to this track. Mostly in part to the fact that it does not really sound like the rest of the songs on the mini-album. But after repeat listens, and the fact that it fits the style of their following single A-side, I have come to enjoy it. It feels like it is trying to pump you up for the album, and I would not be surprised if this is a song used to start off lives with. It has a dance pop style to it and features Kaede and her rapping quite a bit.

2. Summer Dreamer
Things switch over to something more conventional with Summer Dreamer. It does start off with a short rap by Kaede that helps a bit to transition from the previous track but other than that the songs are quite different in style. Summer Dreamer is in the same vein as most of the songs on this, fun catchy pop music. But out of all the tracks of its ilk it does not stand out as much as others but is still a fun listen.

3. Fly High
A good energetic pop song that is plenty catchy. It is with these kinds of songs the group shines as they do them so well. The versus let the individual girls shine with their solo lines before switching to the chorus with group singing. Well outside of some 'oohs' to give those a bit more flavor.

4. Chu me now!!
One of the stronger songs, and it should not be that surprising that it was one of the single tracks from their indie releases. One of the catchier songs and I rather like that they work part of their group name into it. Sure it is cheesy but if you do not like cheesiness on some level then you probably should not be following Japanese idols. And it has some of the better uses of autotune as an effect in this song to give it a stand out moment so it does not sound too repetitive.

5. キラキラ未来☆ (Kirakira Mirai☆)
I love how this song starts, very little instrumental so it can show off the vocals before bringing everything else in. It helps break the usual pattern of the past few songs in the mini-album and is a nice reminder that the group has some strong vocals to it. This song it one of the more fun songs as well as one of the more catchier ones. Definitely one of my favorite tracks though there is one sound effect in it that can annoy me at times.

6. a.no.ne
This song actually has a PV that can be found on Youtube. About halfway through is really where this song takes off and becomes one of the more standout tracks. It is there where we get a change up in tempo that gives it a nice shot of energy to take it to the end of the song. That also really helps make the song stand out as most of the previous tracks are more predictable with their structure.

7. Bow Wow
This song has a bit of a K-pop sound to it, which does not seem surprising as I know at least Luna is a fan of K-pop, I do believe she's even done a cover of a Kara song as a solo before. But with the group wanting to be both cool and cute this song helps balance out some of the cuteness in previous tracks with given them something with a cooler sound. It uses autotune to nice effect and it is definitely used as an effect to compliment the style of the song.

8. GIRLS ON THE RUN
I absolutely love this song. It should be obvious really as I used the title as a part of the title for this blog. This song was the first song I listened to for the group as Chiima shared the short PV for it on her blog and it was instant love. It is a high energy song with a really catchy chorus. And I love it when they change this up for a bit near the middle. And then the slow down to really let the girls' voices shine. Seriously, I just love this song and I am so glad I decided to give that video a play.

9. Choose My Life
A more mid-tempo song that works as a bit of a cool down from the previous track. Not to say that it does not have its own energy, as it does with a beat that drives through it from the start to build up to the chorus. And the chorus is really where the song shines the most. But there are some nice shifts in the song as well that helps elevate it even more. The track also works in a nice pun with "choose" basically being the pronunciation of the group's name.

10. LUCKY☆STAR (Bling Bling Princess)
The bonus track of this version of the release, a song for the sub-unit Bling Bling Princess. BBP is comprised of Luna, Maia and Kaede, so of course the song has a rap part for Kaede. But the song has me from the start where is samples "Wish Upon a Star" in music box form before moving onto the electro pop sound of the song. It is so upbeat and really lets all three members shine. And I really love the change up at the end of the chorus.


Overall: If you are new to the group then this is a great way to get into them. It does not look like it is easy to find their indie releases so having them all on this mini-album is great. Plus there are some new songs so it makes it worth it to get this album for those for fans who have been following the group from their indie days, especially to get GIRLS ON THE RUN.

The group does great with fun, catchy pop songs but IROHA MUSIK and Bow Wow do promise that the group can do more than just that. But there is not a single track I do not like on this. I am so glad they went with this as their first major debut release as it is a nice chunk of songs from the group to get a good sense of their sound, for not just their more standard stuff but also the other styles they incorporate into it. Also it was harder to overplay them as I probably would have a single that would have only had two or three songs.

But a solid release from the group and again a really good place to start if you want to get into the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment