Saturday, January 17, 2015

Chu-Z - Bombastic Type B/C single

Type B
Artist: Chu-Z
Title: Bombastic
Release date:  01 OCT 2014
Type: single
Version: Type B / Type C

Type C

Packaging: Very basic for both editions with no other pictures for the lyric booklet. But they both came with trading cards, each member of the group had six versions each for this. One trading card per copy of the single and I ended up with two of Maia's. I will say that I really like the cover for Type B. It is rather creative and to me stood out the most from all three covers for this single.

Tracks:

1. ボンバスティック! (Bombastic!)
I confess that it took a while to warm up to this track but I have come to rather enjoy it. One thing I loved from the start about it is that it has an aggressive edge to it, mainly thanks to Kaede's rapping being featured prominently. I would consider this to be a style song as it seems to be here to show off the cool side to the group and it works well. While it may not let the girls really show off their voices they already have songs to let them do that so a song like Bombastic! can work as a balance, especially since part of their appeal is that they are a group that is both cute and cool.

2. Direct to U
A more standard pop song that falls right in with most of the songs Chu-Z has released so far. In fact if this was an unused track from their mini-album I would not be surprised at all. That said it probably benefits by not being on that as it would probably blend in too well with those tracks. There is at least an electronic voice effect used in this in just the right amount to help it stand out. But outside of that it sounds much like most of the other songs Chu-Z has released so far.

3. おねがいスコール (Onegai School) / Sun-Chu - Type B exclusive track
The first of the two sub-unit songs for this single. Sun-Chu consists of members Kana, Asuka and Miku. They ended up saddled with a very generic idol pop song that never seems to go anywhere. It is not a terrible song, just so forgettable and rather bland. There is an interesting instrumental break about halfway through but unfortunately that seems to be the only time the song tries to be anything other than usual idol pop fare. Which is unfortunate for the members of this sub-unit, especially Kana who is one of the main vocalists of Chu-Z and can definitely tackle something more challenging.

3. iya iya iya / Bling Bling Princess - Type C exclusive track
This is by far my favorite track on the single. I feel a bit bad for that as it is a sub-unit song but there is just so much about it that I adore. It has some wonderful string pieces that give it this mysterious feel when it starts the song off. The instrumentals are light with the strings, what sounds like a piano and drums running with the electronic beats of the song. Yet the voices of the girls are clear, with Luna and Maia being the main singers as Kaede raps. In fact I would say the push for Kaede being a "rapper" for the group probably is what helps get BBP the more dynamic songs. But it is an excellent track that makes me so glad I made sure to get more than one version of this single.


Overall: Really loved this single in the end. The two group songs are overall strong and again I am completely in love with BBP's unit song. And again Onegai School is not a bad song, just one that is really generic and seems beneath what the girls can do. Yet despite that what I loved about this single outweighs any negative and I am quite happy to have gotten my copies.

If this is going to be the level of musical output for Chu-Z then I am going to be quite the happy fan and cannot wait for their future releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment