Sunday, September 27, 2020

Idol Fandoms 2020: K-pop idols

 Rounding out this series of posts with the K-pop idols that I follow. And when I say follow I mean I have actually taken the time to learn more about the groups (like learning the names of the members), pay attention for when they have a new release and watch non-music video videos of the group.

The oldest group that I still follow that is still technically together is 2PM. Of course currently the group is on hiatus as not all of the members have finished their mandatory military service but they will be all out next year. I look forward to the group's return then and am finding things to enjoy from the members' solo activities. I am completely in love with Jun. K's This is not a song, 1929 right now for example. But I do hope that by this time next year I will have some new 2PM songs to be just as in love with.

As someone that loves pop-rock you better believe I am a Dreamcatcher fan. I love their music and style, especially since I am a sucker for fantasy concepts. And their self-made MVs are a thing of dorky beauty that do so well to showcase the members' personalities that does not always shine through with their high budget official music videos.

I have had a soft spot for JYPE groups as some of the earliest K-pop groups I got into were from the agency, the already mentioned 2PM, Wonder Girls and Miss A. So I have always kept an eye out on the idols with the agency but no group really grabbed me until Itzy debuted. They are my go to group for songs that make me feel confident and they are just amazing performers to watch.

Last year I was trying to see if I could find more K-pop groups to get into and ended up coming across Tomorrow X Together and found myself enjoying their music. It was also nice to see a K-pop boy group going for a fresh and cute concept instead of the usual cool concepts most tend to go for. TXT just felt like a breath of fresh air. Since they are a young a rather new group I look forward to seeing them grow as their careers continue and hope more people find them as they are so talented already and their performances are really technical and impressive. 


Other than that I am on the fence with Treasure. I think I will have to see how much I enjoy future releases from them even though I have enjoyed what they have released so far. But their releases are pretty slim with only two singles that are only two tracks each. There are a few other groups that I just listen to their music and that is just it, but there is always potential for me to get more invested in them. Until then though they will remain off this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment