Saturday, December 29, 2007

Introduction Post

This is my blog for fangirling about the Johnny's Entertainment boy bands that I am in love with. So instead of spamming my more general journal over at LJ, I'll be using this one to share my thoughts and any media I want to in relation to JE.

For those who don't know, JE is basically a Japanese male idol making factory. It was formed in 1963 by Johnny Kitagawa and since then has pretty much dominated the Japanese idol market. The way it is set up is that the boys audition to join the company and then, if selected, are given the status, Junior. As Juniors they are mainly back dancers but can be formed together to make singing units that perform mainly on Shounen Club, a program dedicated to showcasing the Juniors. Sometimes those units eventually debut (SMAP, KAT-TUN, Kanjani8) or in other cases they are restructured to form either other Junior units (Kis My Ft + ABC Jr. = Kis My Ft2) or to debut as a new unit (News, Hey! Say! JUMP).

As the idols in JE, both debuted and Juniors, are a part of everything from singing and dancing, acting in dramas, musicals and movies, hosting radio and TV programs, starring in commercial ads, it is difficult not to run across them at some point if you are a fan of Japanese pop culture.

The groups that I will be mostly covering are; News, Hey! Say! JUMP and KAT-TUN. I'll probably have something for the Juniors and Arashi as well.


(Note: This was the first post for my now defunct Johnny's blog, Never Ending Music Power.)

No comments:

Post a Comment